Over the years our image collection and detailed notes have become separated so we are not able to give detailed date information for many of our early photos. However, we start with two black and white images from, we think, 1980 or 1981.
First up is Midland Red Alexander-bodied Daimler Fleetline 6037 (GHA437D) which was pictured inside the workshop at the company’s Central Works in Birmingham. The bus was new in January 1967 and spent the majority of its use with Midland Red operating in the Leicester area.
Another Midland Red bus, but this time in West Midlands PTE livery. Leyland National 1117 (HHA117L) was one of 413 buses which passed from Midland Red to the PTE in December 1973 when the PTE took the heart out of Midland Red’s operating territory with the transfer of the buses and services in Birmingham and the Black Country. The bus was at lea Hall Garage receiving a trial ‘Polybus’ advertising wrap - the first of its kind for the PTE.
We now move to Scotland and Stirling where we see Alexander Midland MPE308 (GMS308S), an Alexander Y-Type Leyland Leopard.
Moving back south we visit London Transport’s Victoria Garage where FRM1 (KGY4D) is waiting to leave the garage to take up duties on the Round London Sightseeing Tour.
Finally for today, we take a visit to Nottinghamshire where we find South Notts Bus Company Leyland PD3/Northern Counties 76 (76LNN). Independent South Notts was formed in March 1926 and was in business until March 1991 when the business was sold to Nottingham City Transport.